As a country rich in culture, it is a common Japanese tradition to celebrate the artistic achievements of its people through Bunkasai, also known as Cultural Festival. Keeping this tradition at hand, HUISA wants to invite you to this year’s HUISA Culture Festival 2016. Let us promote the diversity and friendship among different cultures!
We are inviting solo/group performers for this years event. Showcase your country’s culture through different performances. Do not miss the opportunity to witness a night filled with rich and colorful music.
The three most entertaning performaces will be awarded with exciting prizes. Gift pack will also be given to luck audiences.
The event will be held at Furate Hall on Dember 10 from 17;00 to 20:00.
If you are interested to join, please register here.
This event is brough to you by Sapporo Lions Club and KDDI Corporation.
Hokkaido’s cool summer is very inviting and is much awaited by locals and tourists alike because it opens up opportunities to see and experience nature’s expansive and serene beauty that are uniquely Hokkaido.
This year, HUISA ExCom invites all the members and friends of HUISA to join us in a summer trip! Together, let us immerse ourselves in the beauty and majesty of Hokkaido’s nature and culture!
Learn how the rich, peaty, and masculine malt Nikka Whisky is made…
Explore and be in awe of the wonders of the universe in Yoichi Space Museum…
…and see the marvelous beauty of Shakotan Peninsula!
Enjoy the summer season and travel with the International Student community on July 09, 2016!
Please register at http://goo.gl/Psx4Jk.
Application deadline: June 22, 2016 (Wednesday)
Registration fee: 2,500 Yen
Payment dates and venue: June 21 and June 23; OIA lobby, 12:00-13:00
It’s hard to do, but can you imagine what it would be like if you’ve lost your world to one disaster? Think of how your world would change if you suddenly lost your parents, your child, your siblings, and your friends in the blink of an eye.
Last April, Kumamoto was struck by two strong earthquakes (with hundreds of aftershocks). This disaster left many people at a loss—some even died, while numerous structures were reduced into rubble. As a response, the Hokkaido University International Students’ Association (HUISA) organized the “100 Yen for Kumamoto Project”, which will be held during the 58th Hokudaisai (June 2-5, 2016), to raise fund to help in the rebuilding of Kumamoto. We will give out one memorial post card (especially designed by Ng Yin Cin) in exchange for a donation of 100 yen or more. Therefore, if you want to grab this specially designed and limited edition post card, please drop by at the HUISA tent during Hokudaisai.
We have two hands—one to help ourselves, the second to help others.
Thank you so much.
HUISA ExCom 2016
The gastronomic gateways to the culture and tradition of other countries, particularly those of Hokkaido University’s international student community, is once again officially opened thru Hokudaisai’s International Food Festival (IFF).
Interested parties may apply by downloading and accomplishing the forms and submitting them according to their respective deadlines. The details for the preparation (including application process, deadlines, as well as rules and regulations in participating to the IFF) can be found at the IFF Booklet for Preparation. We strongly encourage all interested participants to carefully examine the details and follow the instructions found in the booklet, especially the deadlines and safety precautions during the IFF.
Should you have questions/clarifications, please feel free to email us at email.huisa[at]gmail.com.
The 1st General Assembly of HUISA was successfully conducted last April 8 (Friday) at Clark Memorial Hall. Among the main events included the adoption of the new HUISA Constitution, the Election of New Executive Committee Members, and the Introduction to the International Food Festival during the Hokudadaisai.
After a year of hard work, the Executive Committee members of HUISA steps down for a new set of officers to take on the challenge to lead the international student community of the Hokkaido University, Sapporo. During the General Assembly on April 8, 2016 at 3F Clark Memorial Hall, new set officers shall be elected and we announce herein the positions that are open for a bid for candidacy as well as their respective responsibilities.
- Vice President
- Shall assume the duties of the President in the absence of or inability of the former to serve; and,
- Shall perform other duties which may be assigned by the president or the Executive Board.
- General Secretary
- Shall record and keep the minutes of all meetings (including attendance) of the association and of the Executive Board in English;
- Shall notify members of the agenda as well as time, date, and place of meeting;
- Shall maintain a list of active membership of the association; and,
- Shall prepare election materials for all elections.
- Shall handle the finances of the HUISA in accordance with the approved budget, and as authorized by the association;
- Shall receive all monies of the association, maintain the association account in a reputable financial institution, and be joint signatory with the President for the association cheques;
- Shall maintain an accurate record of the association receipts and expenses and payout funds in accordance with the approved budget and as authorized by the association;
- Shall present a financial statement at every general meeting and at other times when requested by the Executive Board.
- Vice Secretary
- Shall assist the General Secretary in keeping all records of the organization;
- Shall assume the responsibilities of the General Secretary in his/her absence; and,
- Shall partner with the Translator (Japanese) in drafting documents necessary for accomplishing the objectives of the organization
- Secretary for Social Welfare and Culture
- Shall assist new students in during their initial settlement in Sapporo thru partnership with the Student Support Desk of the University, especially by assisting in drafting and dissemination of updated primers for both Hokkaido University and life in Sapporo;
- Shall organize cultural activities, social gatherings and parties to promote harmony and cohesion among international students as well as with Japanese students; and,
- Shall sit on all committees related to this portfolio.
- Secretary for Sports and Recreation
- Shall organize and arrange sports and recreational programs to promote health and wellness among its members; and,
- Sit on all committees related to this portfolio
- Shall be an international student who is proficient in the Japanese language and shall sit with the Executive Committee members as an interpreter during transactions with University officials as well as other stakeholders; and,
- Shall partner with the Translator for the efficient flow of communication between HUISA (its Executive Committee) and other stakeholders.
- Translator (Japanese Student)
- Shall be a current undergraduate/graduate Japanese student of the Hokkaido University proficient in written and oral English communication;
- Shall assist the committee members as an English-Japanese translator especially of official communications and documents relevant to HUISA activities; and,
- Shall partner with other committee members, particularly the Vice Secretary, Public Relations Officer, and Web Administrator, in drafting official documents and/or promotional materials for mass communication of HUISA activities.
- Public Relations Officer
- Shall maintain the communication with university authority and other organizations within and outside of the Hokkaido University;
- Shall actively promote HUISA activities, both in print and social media; and,
- Shall lead the working partnership with the Translator and Web Administrator in drafting materials for information dissemination, promotions, and campaigns relevant to HUISA activities.
- Web Administrator
- Shall maintain and keep both the group mail and HUISA website active; and,
- Shall partner with the Translator and Public Relations Officer in drafting materials for mass communication, particularly those that will be posted in the website.
Note that all current international students are eligible to run for any position.
Students who are interested to run for a specific position must send their bid for candicacy by sending an email to the HUISA (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following details:
- Email subject line should read: [Position] Candidacy — [Full Name]
- Accomplished HUISA ExCom Nomination Form 2016-2017
Deadline for submission of Nomination Form is on April 7, 2016 at 23:59.